Sunday, March 23, 2014

Photo Essay of Holy Family: The Local Parish Here in Mamallapuram

These past couple weeks I've been going to mass here in Mamallapuram.  This is what it is like:


The church is rather small, but the congregation of a few hundred overflows into the yard, which is what all the blue plastic chairs are for.


the altar boys.


Notice how the men and women sit separately; the women on Christ's right hand, appropriately enough.


I hope this video works, it's of one of the communion hymns. I adore how Tamil is sing song, and percussive, perfectly accompanied by the drum.  I shot this as inconspicuously as I could with my iphone, which did not focus.. those are my blue socked feet at the beginning, we take our shoes off before entering the church here, like Muslims at a mosque:


After mass, there is Marian prayer, like is common in Europe or many parishes stateside. Then, everyone rushes the front to venerate the statues of the Holy Family there:


They touched the table or base of the statues like the girl is doing here.  I didn't think to bring a candle with me, and they had none there to buy.



I'll get my own stash for future contingency.

So, that's how rural Catholics - who are mostly converts from lower Hindu castes here, and poor - roll in India.  Tomorrow I'll post the shots from the great Shrine of St. Thomas in Madras..



---

No comments:

Post a Comment