Sunday, July 24, 2011

Pictures of the Last Few Days: Jacksonville, Fort Clinch SP, Gainesville

I've not been in the mood to write anything these last few days - or week or two now, I suppose.   I've been turned inward, seeking to put myself in better order, lately.    There's work to do inside, is what I'm saying. Still, I did see a few things, and I did remember to use my camera on a few of them....

Like this, Fort Clinch State Park, a Civil War era park just north of Jacksonville that was begun just before beginning of the war, then taken and then abandoned by the Confederacy, and then taken and held by the Union after Florida was evacuated by Confederate forces in the middle of the war.  I have always loved old forts like this,  they move me somehow.   Here are a few images I seized of the place:








Then I saw this later that same day along the side of the road.  It's web was huge, probably a square meter in total span, and the little fellow was himself not all that little (in that if he were to grow any larger he would be a great nightmare, and not just a vividly colored little spook like he is now..)  being about two inches long or so with the extent of his legs..  He was very beautiful, but I was a a little too wary and respectful to get any closer than I did, which means the images I took are not as impressive as they should be:





I just looked him up online.  He's a yellow silk spider, also known as a banana spider, a calico spider, a writing spider, a giant wood spider or a golden orb spider.

He's not at all dangerous, and can even be touched or picked up if you have the guts to do it.   I like spiders, but prefer not to touch or get too close to them.  They're awesome to me, and that means I give them due respect.  I look, but will not touch.  

Some people are brasher in this than I.  Here's the proof of that:




That guy's a little bigger than the one I ran into, but not much.   Pretty amazing, eh?


I'm beginning to really like Florida.  It's really only a matter of paying attention to what is good and ignoring all the idiots.  That's just a matter of acting with grace and acquired wisdom, and then paying attention, really..



---

4 comments:

  1. Banana spiders? Totally never coming to your blog EVER AGAIN. Heebie jeebies, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say "Don't you worry Little Nikki, he's not gonna hurt you, you got truth on your side.." in the voice of Puff the Magic Dragon as done by Noel Paul Stookie.. But that's a completely off the wall reference that you won't at all get, unless you listen to this:

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013PGN1Q/ref=dm_dp_trk4

    Which you should because it's funny. The rest of the concert album that that is from is awesome, too, by the way (since I just spent a minute digging up that link for you, I thought I might as well cue you in to the magic of one of the best concert albums ever recorded. Listen to all of it.

    You're welcome.

    Just so you know, that impulse to quote Puff at you was mock bravado, since I am afraid of spiders, too. Fascinated, but afraid. I never kill them mind you. That seems a desecration. It's like you should never damn the devil, but leave him always to God, and pray he be kept far away from you.. But the moral drama of his revolt is so terrifying that you can't but be fascinated at something so beautiful becoming so awful.. Spiders are quite as bad as that, but they are an intimation of it, which is why they fixate me.. Scary, scary, pray, be wary..

    It's like do you feel at all bad for Shelob, after she drags herself off into the depths of her hole after being skewered by Sam? Part of the terror of evil for me pity.. which I think is the humility of recognizing a hint of temptation to the fall in myself. It's elf recognition, even in such eyes.

    That's why I always put the spiders who start inside my home gently outside, and never smash them. I hope that mercy even be shown the devil, the mercy of being cast respectfully into the outer darkness.

    Know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lawd, I can't seem to write, here. This new OS X Lion auto correct is making all sorts of false assumptions which I only catch 4 times out of 5, and then my mind seems to be missing all sorts of links, as well.. Fill in the blanks, if you can. It was all in my head correct as I composed it..

    And I forgot to say that I'm a little surprised that you (of all people) are arachnophobic. Scrappy little Nikki? Scared of a bug? Forsooth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Yes, I do know what you mean.

    2. Not a bug. MUCH, MUCH WORSE THAN A BUG.

    ReplyDelete