Monday, November 14, 2011

On the Laguna

Yesterday I hired a guy with a boat to take men out on the Laguna just north of the town here.  It's not that different from lakes in Maine, if you blur your sight a little..  The water is brackish, mixed with the ocean, and it is surrounded by mangrove trees and "canales" which are basically narrow mangrove swamps.  There are lots of birds (pelicans, ducks, egrets, eagles, osprey, so forth) and all sorts of reptiles, spiders and crabs and things.  We only saw one small boa, and since I was hoping to see more snakes, that was a bummer.  Otherwise it was a good time.  It felt good to get out and paddle for a while.  

On the way to the landing we saw a kingfisher, which as you all know is an excellent omen and good luck.  The kingfisher is maybe my favorite bird.  The word "halcyon" is derived from the Greek for kingfisher, and that fact pleases me immensely.


Tomorrow, I'm going on a two tank dive on a reef near here.  That will make for six dives so far in Puerto Escondido.   I'm also going to try and hire a tutor for some strategic Spanish lessons..

Now, though, I'm off to bed.  Good night.



---

No comments:

Post a Comment