Friday, August 17, 2012

Into El Salvador




Today I finally did something I have been meaning to do all this week.  I took the minibus on the hour long 30Q roundtrip ride up to the Salvadoran border, and walked across for 15 minutes.  You know, just to say I've been there.  (That's one more country to my list Mr. Coady!)  Unfortunately, because of the CA4 customs agreement, I entered on my Guatemalan visa, and got no nifty Salvadoran stamp for my passport, even though I asked very nicely, por un recuerdo, you know?  But they are rigid bureaucrats there, and refused me.  But they stamped me out and back in on the Guatemalan side, which is almost as good..  

The minibus driver on the way back drove like a bat out o' hell, which drove me nuts - he'd take sharp corners going at least twice as fast as my old man nerves could handle.  It began to rain, and whenever he stopped to pick a new passenger up (they pick anyone who hails them down along the way up) he'd slam on the breaks unnecessarily stressing both his stupid van and my heart simultaneously.  I was sure one or both would give out before we got home here, in a blur of hydroplane wipeout ending with us careening violently into one of the many stream gorges by the way, but we somehow all survived. 

I'll just add that I am oddly wearing the same damn clothes in this image as I was in the last I posted of myself.  That's because I only have three sets of clothes in rotation here (well packed, or something thereabouts.. clotheswise, anyway) and I had my laundry done the other day..  Just thought I'd call unecessary attention to that fact.



---

4 comments:

  1. I just thought you were wearing your uniform. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And nice to hear there's a laundry in the rotation!
    ;)
    From TV
    PS....Uncle Bill appreciated the card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got your postcard, and it basically made my whole week. Thank you!! :)

    ReplyDelete

  4. Lauren, my uniform? it's a hobo habit, rather.

    Right Mom. the triple rotation's still a rotation.

    Nikki, you're an invaluable sort of friend, so easy to please.

    ReplyDelete