Monday, June 27, 2011

Comment on my Review of Tree of Life

It occurred to me today that the soundtrack of Tree of Life has a lot of Catholic liturgical music in it. All in Latin of course, and sung by an excellent choir.

For example, during what I understood to be the "resurrection" was accompanied by the Agnus Dei, which of course is from the Eucharistic canon at the mass: "Agnus Dei qui tollit peccata mundi, miserere nobis.." Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world, have mercy on us.

I also should point out - another thing that occurred to me today - that the "Tree of Life" is also taken in Catholic and Orthodox (and I suppose other Christian traditions) as referring to the Cross. You'll see it for example on diptychs or that lay out the stories of the Hebrew Bible in contrast to their consummation in the Gospel. So the the Cross is the Tree of Life and a counterpoint to the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil in the Garden of Eden: The first is the instrument salvation and redemption, the second that of freedom and the Fall.


I can't steal this image because it is protected, but it is a mosaic that is an excellent example of what I'm referring to.

I think I'm going to have to watch the film again when it comes out on DVD to parse all this.



---

No comments:

Post a Comment